06 September 2019
South Africa, Paarl, September 2019; KWV has achieved an astounding result having emerged among this year's best producers overall in an authoritative report on South African wine just released by British Master of Wine Tim Atkin. A sensational 20 of the Paarl-based producer's wines received a score of 90+, with half of them being from the top-tier KWV The Mentors range.
"This is a tremendous result because it acknowledges 10 years of hard, dedicated work by grape growers, cellar assistants and marketing teams," says The Mentors winemaker Izele van Blerk.
"Ratings like these affirm our direction in terms of a constant evolution of wine style and quality. Furthermore, it demonstrates the quality prevalent throughout the KWV range.”
Atkins' report is in its 7th edition and this year included an assessment of 2 115 – the largest ever. It is highly regarded for the international perspective it provides local producers, from an esteemed commentator. Wines are assessed using the international 100-point system, which generally indicates wines achieving 90-94 as being superior to exceptional; and, 95-100 as benchmarks and classics.
Additional highlights of KWV's remarkable achievement include:
- The Mentors Petit Verdot received 95 for the third consecutive year; and
- With a score of 96, the KWV The Mentors Carmenère 2017 – a limited edition wine added to the portfolio just this year - was the highest scorer in the line-up. The Bordeaux cultivar was believed to be virtually extinct after phylloxera led to its decimation. Only 8.56ha of Carménère exist in South Africa and KWV has access to 1.15ha.
The Mentors is one of South Africa's most awarded ranges and a pinnacle in winemaking reserved for the finest in class. It was stablished to be a premier showcase of South Africa's diverse terroir, involving strict selection and the application of the best viticultural and oenological know-how. A dedicated cellar is reserved for their crafting as small batch, truly refined wines.
"These are my wines of the year - a collection that would, I believe, compare with the best of any other wine-producing country," says Tim Atkin in his pre-amble to the 2019 report.
All wines achieving a score of 90+ are awarded Medals of Excellence.
The Mentors made up KWV's best performers, achieving ratings from 92 to 96. They were:
- KWV The Mentors Carmenère 2017 96
- KWV The Mentors Petit Verdot 2017 95
- KWV The Mentors Canvas 2017 94
- KWV The Mentors Orchestra 2017 94
- KWV The Mentors Perold 2017 94
- KWV The Mentors Chenin Blanc 2018 93
- KWV The Mentors Grenache Noir 2017 93
- KWV The Mentors Cabernet Franc 2017 93
- KWV The Mentors Pinotage 2017 93
- KWV The Mentors Grenache Blanc 2018 92
Scoring between 90 and 93, were:
- KWV Roodeberg 1949 2017 93
- KWV Cathedral Cellar Triptych 2016 92
- KWV Roodeberg Dr Charles Niehaus 2017 92
- KWV Cathedral Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon 2017 91
- KWV Laborie Blanc de Blancs MCC NV 91
- KWV Cathedral Cellar Pinotage 2018 91
- KWV Cathedral Cellar Chardonnay 2018 90
- KWV Cathedral Cellar Sauvignon Blanc 2018 90
- KWV Classic Petit Verdot 2018 90
- KWV Roodeberg Red 2017 90
Experience The Mentors through tours and tastings at the Emporium in Paarl. For more information, contact the KWV Emporium on 021 807 3007/8 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
KWV wines and spirits are available at retail outlets and restaurants nationwide, and can also be delivered to your door when purchased online through https://www.shopsawine.co.za/kwv/24-shop-for-wine.
For press assistance contact Monique Roux of Manley Communications on 0861 MANLEY (626 539), email email@example.com or visit the Press Room of Manley Communications at www.manley-communications.com.